Monday, May 21, 2012

My Susan Cheever Interview

I want to convince you to read (or reread) Home Before Dark: A Biographical Memoir of John Cheever By His Daughter. But maybe the place to start is at this interview with its author, Susan Cheever. The interview was published today on the blog, The Days of Yore, a great site where artists reveal their journeys to becoming established. 

I took a master class at Columbia that Susan Cheever created and taught. The focus was on writing one’s family members into fictional characters, but she covered a lot of other literary ground, and frankly I was happy to learn anything Susan Cheever wanted to teach me. I suppose I thought I’d made a small connection with her and so felt quasi-comfortable asking for an interview. She was obliging and generous and candid—and I hope she likes how it turned out. 

2 comments:

  1. I am organizing a panel on women authors who have written about their fathers for the American Literature Association Conference in Boston at the end of next May. I am writing on Dean Faulkner Wells's memoir of her relationship with her surrogate father/uncle. My friend Rhoda Sirlin is writing on Alexandra Styron's memoir of her father an on James Jones's daughter's memoir. We want to include a presentation on Susan Cheever.

    I have just found your stimulating interview with Cheever and wonder if you might be interested in doing a talk on Cheever and her memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Cash:
      Thanks for your note and for your response to my interview with Cheever. It was a fun one to do.

      Thank you, too, for your invitation. Feel free to email me directly (pberry81@aol.com) regarding the ALA conference.

      Best,
      Pat Berry

      Delete